This vintage inspired sewing bag is so adorable and has a shabby chic feel. You can truly transform this project and make it into your own just through your choice of fabric. By choosing a homespun fabric you make it look more primitive. You could also tea -stain some muslim and add lace to give it more of an antique look. By simply changing the fabric you can transform this to look aged or look new depending on your preference. So many options, sew little time.
vintage peg sewing BAG
YOU WILL NEED:
- Laminated or regular fabric 0.25m (1/4yd) x 54–56cm (21 1/4–22in) wide
- Bias binding 60cm (24in) x 2.5cm (1in) wide, cut in two equal pieces
- Wire coat hanger
- Plastic tape (optional)
- Peg bag template
1. Using the template draw one back and two front pieces on the laminated fabric, allowing an extra 1cm (3/8in) seam allowance all around. Line up the coat hanger and bend to fit the top of the bag. Set the hanger aside.
2. Carefully cut out one back piece of laminated fabric and two front pieces ensuring that you have enough fabric to overlap at the opening. Lay out your two front pieces right side up and cut two lengths of bias binding to fit along the top of the bottom piece, and the bottom of the top piece (that is, the bag opening). With right sides together, fold the bias binding lengthways over the top of the bottom front and pin into position. Repeat on the bottom of the top piece. Machine stitch into place using a 1cm (3/8in) seam allowance.
3. With right sides together, pin the back, bottom front and top front together, ensuring there is a 1cm (3/8in) overlap at the opening. The bias binding on the bottom front should sit neatly behind the bias binding at the top.
4. Mark the area where the coat hanger comes through the top of the bag using a pin each side of the 3cm (1 1/4in) space (that is, the space for the hanger). Pin, tack and then starting at the top of the bag carefully machine stitch all around using a 1cm (3/8in) seam. When complete turn the bag right side out and slip in the hanger.
5. Wrap plastic tape around the hook to finish, if required. Share this vintage peg bag pattern with your friends!